Friday, November 27, 2009

Memory Issues - I

As a kid, I was proud of my memory retention skills. I was good at remembering faces, names, birthdays, latest car models.....well you name it and I would remember! As days progressed someone up there decided its high time and something ought to be done. I did not even realise when the deterioration started, until one day , rather evening ,when it hit  me right on my face.

This was way back during the third year of my engineering. After spending the summer break at home in Kolkatta, I was heading back to college in Ranchi. At the station, I met my room mate's Father. He asked me a very casual question, a question which had no association with rocket science, whatsoever!

Friend's Dad: So where do you stay in Kolkatta?

Me(smiling): ??!!?? ( blank)

.....after 10 seconds........

Me(still smiling): ??!!?? (still blank...like a recently formatted pc!)

Friend's Dad (with a concerned smile): Never mind....( she is too young for alzheimers!!)

This is when my room mate, thankfully stepped into my rescue. I have nothing to say to my defense really. Neither was I new to Kolkatta, nor was the name of the location (where I stayed in Kol) a tongue-twister of any sort.

After this, there were many more incidents to follow like ...

1... the time when I ask one of the most dreaded Profs in college to repeat his question ( during a viva exam), not because I was trying to buy time, but..yes!! I did manage to forget the question as soon as I heard it. ( Can you beat that!! Can anyone beat that!!!!)

2...right now ... yes!! I have forgotten what my second incident was...but I assure you I will be back with Memory Issues - II as soon as I remember.

2 comments:

Chip said...

Yeah.. I can completely be in your shoes now. I think memory loss is coming in early nowadays, specially, if you're in a life changing interview! :-)

Sameera said...

haha now dont forget to post part 2 of this..had fun